Thursday, April 2, 2015

Hello Again, Let's Dish, & Attention to Details (specifically the lower back)

Aloha ladies, gentlemen.  


It's been quite some time, hasn't it? 
Thought maybe I'd forgotten about you?
Nonsense! You were always on my mind. 
It's just that I've been on a hiatus of sorts, a sabbatical you might say.


I know-I know, two years without word or notice, not even a courtesy call or "BRB". 
It was not my intention to leave you in the lurch. 
I got a job, you see, and I just couldn't give my full attention to this.
I made a choice, it hurt many of you, and I'm sorry.

The SS Opportunity blared her horn, you must realize, and I answered the call.


For Two Glorious Years.

..........

!!!!!RINGGGGGG RIINNNGGGG!!!


***WAKE UP DANNY****
YOU'RE UNEMPLOYED!


INT. SANTA-MONICA BEDROOM. DAY

DANNY CURTIS (Mid-Late 20's, rugged, handsome) wakes up in a foreign bedroom. He is alone except for a CAT, who stares at him for a moment before yawning, displaying his teeth. 

DANNY
(to the cat)
What fresh hell is this? Where am I? Who are you?

CAT
...

DANNY
Right.

DANNY looks around the room, he notices a PICTURE FRAME on the dresser, he examines it. It's him.

DANNY
(re: picture)
It's. Me.

He notices OTHER PICTURES in the room, several displaying smiling images of he and a BLONDE WOMAN.

DANNY
(cont.)
That face...

Just then, a NOISE from other room sends the cat off the bed and out of the room. Danny hears a key snapping into place and the front door opening. He races into.

INT. LIVING-ROOM. SAME

The FRONT DOOR swings open revealing a BLONDE WOMAN (Mid 20's, mysterious, beautiful) in hospital scrubs.

BLONDE WOMAN
Hey babe, you're up early. Ughh my shift was insane last night.

Danny recognizes her from the photos. Just then, a name snaps into his mind.

DANNY
Stephanie! You're here.

STEPHANIE
I had a screaming baby all night long, we're never having kids, do we have any cereal?

Danny stares in shock. It's Stephanie, his long-time girlfriend, he turns to head to the kitchen and opens a cabinet in search of cereal. He notices a WEDDING RING on his hand. 

DANNY
(to himself)
We're Married?

STEPHANIE
I better get on-call tonight. Or just cancelled, tonight feels like a wine night.

DANNY
I umm, yeah. I hear ya.

STEPHANIE
So do you have anything planned for today? Maybe relax at the beach or read a book? 

DANNY
That sounds nice. Yes. I think I'll do both.

STEPHANIE
Yeah, you should, you can worry about resumes and all that stuff next week. Well, I'm gonna change, I've got hospital all over me and I feel super gross. 

Just as Stephanie leaves the room, Danny collapses onto the kitchen floor, knocking a BOX OF FRENCH-TOAST CRUNCH off the shelf and scattering it everywhere. A flood of memories surge into Danny's head. He cradles the box.

DANNY
The Job. The Wedding. We moved to Santa Monica! I got laid-off ARGGG!!

Danny twists in agony. 

DANNY
(cont.)
...the blog. Sweet Jesus, tell me I updated the blog!

CUT TO BLACK 

-----------------------------------------------------------


Pretty intense stuff there.


I'll admit this joblessness hasn't been the easiest transition, but I'm a resilient guy, and with the emotional support  of my family and friends (financial, if the Lord so leads), I know I'll bounce back stronger than ever. 

It's all about adaptation. Sacrifices must be made, and in times of scaling back, it's the frugal who flourish. 

I've actually surprised myself at some of my money saving tactics, in fact, I've got a pitch I'd like to share with you. Thinking about sending it over to Dave Ramsey for a cookbook idea I think we could collaborate on. 

I call it the "In-Case-a-dilla" (Working Title) Something you'll want ready, In Case!



You'll need the following:

  1. Flour Tortilla (Today I'm using a fancy organic brand from my "old life" but you may need to scale back to fit your particular budget)
  2. Sliced Ham (I'm a Classic Hickory man myself but Honey Baked can add a sweetness if you're looking for that)
  3. Shredded Cheese (Today I kept it classic with a Mild Cheddar/Monterey Jack Blend, but again, I've had some wild experiences with some south of the border mixes as well ;) ) 
  4. SRIRACHA brand Hot Chili Sauce: I'm not gonna budge you guys. SRIRACHA is what gives the Incaseadilla* it's signature kick.   
Now it's time to work


- Toss two slices of ham onto a tortilla.
-Sprinkle Cheese over the top (don't go too crazy here, we still have to roll this guy)



-With the cheese on the ham, it's time for the microwave. 
**NOTE** DO NOT put the Sriracha on before you microwave - Fool me once...
I suggest 1-minute on HIGH (you can eyeball it as well, just make sure the cheese is melted). 



- Next comes the Sriracha, dress it up to your liking (I went with a simple pinwheel design here but feel free to let your own inner artist out)


Taste the Savings!

-Roll that bad boy up and enjoy! 

----------------------------------------------

Overall, things have been great. Steph and I are loving our new spot in Santa Monica. We're a short walk to the beach, and we've been taking full advantage.

Here I am playing Frisbee with my buddy Grant!
There's Steph - staring off into the ocean.

Here's my buddy T-Roe! He came out from MN for a visit.
I'm actually not to sure how this pic found it's way in here.

One of the big perks of the area is it's proximity to Muscle Beach. A sandy outdoor jungle gym with ropes, parallel bars, rings, weights, monkey bars, you name it!

I like to jog down there from time to time and give the pull-up bar the 'ol heave ho. 

Last week during a particularly aggressive sesh, I caught the eye of middle aged woman sitting amongst a team of muscled out beach-bro's holding a large sketchpad. It was a curious sight, she didn't quite match the rest of the scene (not that she didn't have the right to be there, everyone at Muscle Beach is welcome and entitled to their own journey) she just looked like someone's aunt. Or like a Green Bay Packer fan. I dunno YOU figure it out. 

Anyhoo, She starts waving at me after I dismount from some dips. I approach her and she spins the sketchpad around.

WARNING: EROTIC
"It's you", she said.

"Yes it is" I said.

Now, I don't know if you guys have seen me recently but this is EXACTLY WHAT I LOOK LIKE.

It's all there, the hair, the smirk, and check out that Tricep!

(I was going to post a comparison pic of myself next to it but Steph won't let me post a shirtless pic - UGH!)

What I was most struck-by was the shading of the shoulders and lower-back. It's not your traditional pose but it's pretty provocative.

"That's a real talent you've got there, I wish I could pay you but I'm afraid I don't have any money on me", I said.

"Don't worry about it, it was my pleasure", she responded.

It was a pretty quick workout. I left after that.

But I appreciate the gesture and it was the confidence boost I needed at the time.

Things are looking up you guys.

It's good to be back,

-Danny

Here's a couple bonus pictures for you guys:

Cute Steph pic here from our Honeymoon in Hawaii

Fun Disney photo here from when "the moms" were in town.



No comments:

Post a Comment